Question/idea about multiple developers committing to one branch

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Fri Dec 1 16:10:13 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:56:19AM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Nicholas Allen wrote:
> > What I think would be cool is if the smart server could enforce that all
> > commits coming into it are through bound branches or checkouts.
>
> I can see why that has some merit.  There's no way of knowing whether a
> commit is coming from a checkout or not, though.
>
> I think it would be simpler to enforce just the rule that no one can
> change the revision ordering.

... and have the advantage that than merge could have an argument
(--to), that would cause the parents to be recorded in reverse order, so
than the developer would just 'bzr merge --to mainline; bzr commit; bzr
push mainline' This would change their local revnos(*), but would properly
reflect the project structure in log structure (and revnos on the
mainline).

(*) It would be as if the developer moved out their branch, pulled
mainline in it's place, merged from their branch and threw it away. I
for one would certainly prefer that workflow over keeping separate
checkout of mainline to do the merging on.