Insights from bzr newbie coming from git

Nicholas Allen allen at ableton.com
Thu Nov 30 17:06:19 GMT 2006

I can see there is some merit to having multiple heads in one branch and
flipping the working tree between them. However, I personally would
prefer that bzr does not do this. Bzr supports so many different styles
of workflow at the moment and does it in an intuitive manner. Adding
this concept on top would be something that would make bazaar more
difficult to understand I think and take away from its elegance. Like
you say, if you want to work like this it is possible in bzr with
lightweight checkouts and switching it from one branch to another.

Bzr makes branching so easy and I personnally want to keep my working
copies separate for different branches. The main advantage is that you
can build the working copies and the files are not modified when you
switch to a new branch. With C and C++ applications the time to rebuild
because you switched your working copy to a different head would be far
too annoying.

So please don't do this in bzr ;-)

Nick