[MERGE] optimize annotate

Wouter van Heyst larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 28 22:45:14 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 05:05:35PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This patch speeds up annotate by retrieving all relevent revisions at once.
>
> Before:
>
> $ time bzr annotate builtins.py > /dev/null
>
> real    0m3.556s
> user    0m2.700s
> sys     0m0.300s
>
> After:
>
> $ time bzr annotate builtins.py > /dev/null
> real    0m1.491s
> user    0m1.400s
> sys     0m0.050s

Even though the sizable amount of annotations is listified first.
I have trouble seeing when that would become a problem, as so often with
these kind of tradeoffs.

Given the speed improvement (and otherwise correct code) you have my +1,
I wouldn't mind learning to see how the cost equation works though :)

Wouter van Heyst