Log of a directory

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Nov 28 16:02:49 GMT 2006

Nicholas Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was hoping that performing a "bzr log dirname" would show changes made
> to that directory and recursively the files inside it. When I do this
> though it only shows the revision that the directory was added in.
>
> It would be nice if it showed revisions where new files were added,
> renamed, modified or removed.
>
> It would also be nice if the recursive nature could be specified on the
> command line so it would either recurse into sub directories or not.
>
> Perhaps it would make sense to have a dir-log command? Because recursive
> option would not make sense on a file but I guess it could be ignored or
> an error printed in this case.
>
> Anyone think this is a good idea?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick

having 'bzr log dir' be recursive is something that we have already
discussed and generally approved. To do it efficiently probably requires
some format changes. Right now we only cache when the directory itself
changes, but we want to cache the recursive set of changes. (We want
that anyway for other performance implications).

Changing the caching is something that is on my plate to work on, so
hopefully I can get to that soon, which would allow stuff like 'bzr log
dir' to be implemented properly and efficiently.