[patch] improved ignore pattern matching (#57637)

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Nov 28 11:40:16 GMT 2006

<snip/>

    Kent> Working on a case-sensitive system, this wasn't
    Kent> something that had occurred to me.

Try Mac OS X Tiger for even more surprises....

Mac OS is "case respecting", that means that you can access the
file 'Makefile' via the 'makefile' or 'MAKEFILE' names.

It also means that you could not have two files named 'Makefile'
and 'makefile' in the same directory.

Now, Tiger (the 10.4 release of Mac OS X) have introduced a case
sensitive file system.

So, at partition time (i.e. install time for boot disks,
formatting time for external disks) you can choose to use it. By
default the disks are formatted as case respecting, so there
should not be many case sensitive filesystems around, but..

I don't know how you could distinguish between case respecting
and case sensitive file systems from python...

    Kent> Is this true?  If so I'll need to set the IGNORECASE
    Kent> flag for case-insensitive systems.  Is there a simple
    Kent> way to tell that a system is case-insensitive?

As seen above, it's more complicated than is seems...

Sorry to complicate the matter further instead of proposing a
solution, but I thought it was worth mentioning...

          Vincent