[RFC] allow fulltext to be more dynamic

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Nov 28 05:17:41 GMT 2006

Wouter van Heyst wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:18:40AM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Well, my point was I wanted something like:
>>
>> class KnitVersionedFile(...
>>
>>   _max_delta_chain = 200

>>   def set_max_delta_chain(self, max_delta):
>>      self._max_delta_chain = max_delta
>
> Is that setter needed? I guess the fallback to class can be confusing if
> you don't know how it works, but it won't help there, so what does it
> do?
>
> Wouter van Heyst

It was mostly as an example. But specifically this was to give a public
api for something internal.

I was mostly describing Robert's hesitation about using a class member
as a default, versus a constant.

Robert has basically said that class level constants are okay, but they
should be accessed through the class
(KnitVersionedFile._max_delta_chain). But class level defaults should be
set inside of __init__()