bzr 0.13 release candidate 1
Wouter van Heyst
larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 28 00:55:44 GMT 2006
Our third time based release took somewhat longer than the earlier two
cycles. We are still on schedule though with the first release candidate
for bzr 0.13 suitable for widespread testing on November the 27th.
(just ignore the fact that I don't adhere to 'my' timezone)
and GPG signature:
A list of all bugs and features for 0.13 is kept by Launchpad at:
This release fixes a number of bugs. Some highlights include ongoing
effort on the smart server, improvements to dealing with branches via
http (robuster range handling, keepalive) and extending the help system
to be able to deal with topics that aren't commands. I hope to see more
use being made of that last item to get really good 'online' help.
Barring any regressions, I expect the 0.13 final to be released December 4th.
Many thanks to all the contributors to this release! I've included the
contents of NEWS for 0.13rc1 below:
bzr 0.13rc1 2006-11-27
* New command ``bzr remove-tree`` allows the removal of the working
tree from a branch.
* urllib uses shared keep-alive connections, so http
operations are substantially faster.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #53654)
* ``bzr export`` allows an optional branch parameter, to export a bzr
tree from some other url. For example:
``bzr export bzr.tar.gz http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev``
* Added ``bzr help topics`` to the bzr help system. This gives a
location for general information, outside of a specific command.
This includes updates for ``bzr help revisionspec`` the first topic
included. (Goffredo Baroncelli, John Arbash Meinel, #42714)
* WSGI-compatible HTTP smart server. See ``doc/http_smart_server.txt``.
* Knit files will now cache full texts only when the size of the
deltas is as large as the size of the fulltext. (Or after 200
deltas, whichever comes first). This has the most benefit on large
files with small changes, such as the inventory for a large project.
(eg For a project with 2500 files, and 7500 revisions, it changes
the size of inventory.knit from 11MB to 5.4MB) (John Arbash Meinel)
* New -D option given before the command line turns on debugging output
for particular areas. -Derror shows tracebacks on all errors.
* Clean up ``bzr selftest --benchmark bundle`` to correct an import,
and remove benchmarks that take longer than 10min to run.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* Use ``time.time()`` instead of ``time.clock()`` to decide on
progress throttling. Because ``time.clock()`` is actually CPU time,
so over a high-latency connection, too many updates get throttled.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* ``MemoryTransport.list_dir()`` would strip the first character for
files or directories in root directory. (John Arbash Meinel)
* New ``ChrootTransportDecorator``, accessible via the ``chroot+`` url
prefix. It disallows any access to locations above a set URL. (Andrew
* ``bzrlib/bzrdir.py`` was directly referencing ``bzrlib.workingtree``,
without importing it. This prevented ``bzr upgrade`` from working
unless a plugin already imported ``bzrlib.workingtree``
(John Arbash Meinel, #70716)
* Suppress the traceback on invalid URLs (Vincent Ladeuil, #70803).
* Give nicer error message when an http server returns a 403
error code. (Vincent Ladeuil, #57644).
* When a multi-range http GET request fails, try a single
range one. If it fails too, forget about ranges. Remember that until
the death of the transport and propagates that to the clones.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #62276, #62029).
* Handles user/passwords supplied in url from command
line (for the urllib implementation). Don't request already
known passwords (Vincent Ladeuil, #42383, #44647, #48527)
* _KnitIndex.add_versions() dictionary compresses revision ids as they
are added. This fixes bug where fetching remote revisions records
them as full references rather than integers. (John Arbash Meinel,
* ``bzr ignore`` strips trailing slashes in patterns.
Also ``bzr ignore`` rejects absolute paths. (Kent Gibson, #4559)
* ``bzr ignore`` takes multiple arguments. (Cheuksan Edward Wang, #29488)
* mv correctly handles paths that traverse symlinks.
(Aaron Bentley, #66964)
* Give nicer looking error messages when failing to connect over ssh.
(John Arbash Meinel, #49172)
* Pushing to a remote branch does not currently update the remote working
tree. After a remote push, ``bzr status`` and ``bzr diff`` on the remote
machine now show that the working tree is out of date.
(Cheuksan Edward Wang #48136)
* Use patiencediff instead of difflib for determining deltas to insert
into knits. This avoids the O(N^3) behavior of difflib. Patience
diff should be O(N^2). (Cheuksan Edward Wang, #65714)
* Running ``bzr log`` on nonexistent file gives an error instead of the
entire log history. (Cheuksan Edward Wang #50793)
* ``bzr cat`` can look up contents of removed or renamed files. If the
pathname is ambiguous, i.e. the files in the old and new trees have
different id's, the default is the file in the new tree. The user can
use "--name-from-revision" to select the file in the old tree.
(Cheuksan Edward Wang, #30190)
* TestingHTTPRequestHandler really handles the Range header
(previously it was ignoring it and returning the whole file,).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 307 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/attachments/20061128/fa575d3f/attachment.pgp
More information about the bazaar