Newbie's questions

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 27 17:40:35 GMT 2006

Matthias Rahlf wrote:
> Although the help message states that warnings were given "if any
> of the named files are already versioned", there is none.
> $ pwd; bzr revno; bzr status; ls README
> /tmp/bzr.dev
> 2150
> README
> $ bzr add --no-recurse README
> $ bzr add README

Hmm.  I don't recall whether it used to warn in that situation.

> This error message could be a little more user friendly:
> $ bzr add .bzr
> bzr: ERROR: Cannot operate on <bzrlib.add.FastPath object at 0xb75ee44c>
> because it is a control file

Agreed.  That's a bug that was introduced when switched from strings to
FastPath in add.

> Which of the following solutions is right? Are they both? What's the
> difference?
>>From the tutorial:
>     To move your changes from one tree to another, use
>     % cd NEWDIR
>     % bzr merge --uncommitted OLDDIR

This one is right.  'shove' was removed in bzrtools 0.11.0

> The README inside the .bzr control directory forbids changing any of the
> files inside. Is this also true for .bzr/branch/branch.conf?

No, branch.conf is an exception.

> In bzrlib/commands.py I read about the options "--no-plugins",
> "--no-aliases", "--builtin", "--profile", "--lsprof". The bzr command
> gives no hint that these exist or how to use them. Is this intended?

The --profile and --lsprof are intended for bazaar developers.  We
should document the rest somewhere.

> Isn't the description of the general workflow in BzrUsingBoundBranches
> unneccessarily complicated? Doen't the following suffice?
>     * Push a branch to somewhere else, perhaps your ISP.
>     * Bind your branch to the this (remote) branch.

bind/unbind are not supposed to be commonly-used.  We should change the
name of this document to "UsingCheckouts" at minimum, and probably
rewrite it other ways.

> The help message from "bzr help status" says that if "no arguments are
> specified, the status of the entire working directory is shown." But it
> seems to me that the status of the working _tree_ is shown.

That might be clearer; I see them as synonyms.

> This applies to other commands, too. Coming from CVS this will be an
> obstacle for me, because in a subdirectory of a project "cvs commit"
> (and the like) deals only with changes in this directory and its
> subdirectories.

That behavior is not recommended, because you're versioning a project,
and it makes sense to ensure that everything is up-to-date when you
commit.  Partial commits mean committing untested code combinations.

However, it can be achieved by doing "commit .".  You can even set up an
alias so that commit always does that, if you wish.

Aaron