[RFC] Attn: Do I need to release 0.12.1 of bzr.exe?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Nov 6 16:08:31 GMT 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> I discover that recent versions of bzr (at least started from bzr 0.10
> as discussed by thread
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/16525)
> works horribly with paramiko version != 1.6.1.
>
> At least I test on my machine 3 releases of paramiko 1.6.3, 1.6.2,
> 1.6.1. And only 1.6.1 seems to work with remote servers. See bug
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/70398
>
> Because standalone bzr.exe contains all libraries inside, and I package
> 1.6.3 into 0.12 release, so I ask: Do I need to prepare new version of
> standalone bzr.exe with paramiko 1.6.1?
>
> As I see from history of WindowsDownloads page I start to package 1.6.2+
> from 0.11 release.
>
> --
> Alexander

Are you sure that bzr doesn't work with 1.6.2? I've been using paramiko
1.6.2 for a while. But I haven't been using paramiko for ssh, just for
sftp, so it may be that things are broken and I don't realize it.

As far as release numbers go...

Normally when you have a package customized for a specific platform, it
gets its own version numbers on the end. Which makes it clear that this
is a win32 fix, not a change from upstream. So I wouldn't call in
0.12.1, because we might have to release a bzr 0.12.1. You probably
should be calling these releases bzr-0.12win32-1, or maybe even
bzr-0.12.0win32-1.

I think for Ubuntu they do foo-0.1.2-ubuntu2. However, doing win322
would be confusing. So maybe bzr-0.12.0-win32-1. Which gives you a place
to update the package version, without seeming like you are using a
different upstream version.

On that note, I actually think bzr should be using
Major.Minor.Micro.Bugfix, and since all of the last few releases have
been 100% disk-format compatible, we should be incrementing Micro rather
than Minor. So we should have used 0.8.0.2 rather than 0.8.2, and that
would put us at 0.8.4 rather than 0.12. I realize that the amount of
work we've done merits a .minor release, but it would help people
realize when we make compatibility changes. Like when we finally fix up
all of our storage format changes, and want to release a format bump,
then we could release a .minor so people would realize upgrading might
be involved.

Anyway, short answer: I think you should release a bzr-0.12.0-win32-2
with paramiko 1.6.1, and we should make sure to update our internals to
support newer versions of paramiko properly. So that you can release
1.6.3 with bzr-0.13.