[MERGE] Mystery of progress is solved

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Nov 4 18:26:20 GMT 2006

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 17:34 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

>> This makes a *lot* of remote operations feel snappier. Because it
>> doesn't just sit there with no information.
> This does indeed seem to have a significant impact when cloning remote
> branches.
>
> +1 from me. Are there guidelines on how much +1's are required (and from
> whom) before submitting to pqm?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jelmer

Well, I have a follow up patch (just posted) which cleans some of this
up even more. But I would be happy to get the first part merged.

In general are rule is two +1's, and we count that if a patch is
submitted by a "trusted" person that counts as one of the +1's.

I've personally done it as a: I want someone to review my changes and
make sure crack wasn't addling my brain. If it is critical, it might go
in right away (like before an rc comes out, when it is an obvious
regression fix, and nobody is going to review it before the end of the
weekend).

If it is something that I'm sure is right, and is minor enough. I give
it a few days, and maybe ping the list one time to see if anyone is
willing to give it a look over. If still nobody bites, I might submit it
anyway.

If it is contentious, I require a consensus before merging. As in
getting a few +1's not just 2.

If it is big, I want to make sure the right people look over it. So I
may wait for a single person's +1.

I think Martin's feeling was: We want patches to get reviewed, but we
don't want things stalling forever, and we don't want to get bogged down
in bureaucracy.

So I would say your +1 is sufficient for this patch. Though I might wait
until Monday first.