Interrupting pull with ctrl-C left stale locks that cannot be removed - even with bzr break-lock

Nicholas Allen allen at ableton.com
Wed Nov 1 18:06:35 GMT 2006

> Nick and I dug into this today, and found out that the problem is how
> Windows python interacts with non-cmd.exe shells.
>
> The problem is that terminal I/O is in a weird state on windows. If you
> run a native program (python, psql, etc) in a non-cmd.exe shell (I've
> run into this with rxvt, Nick was running gnome-terminal) then all of
> the output to stdout is just missing.

It's strange that I see messages on stdout normally from bzr though so
I'm not exactly sure why not when there is an interactive prompt.
Perhaps it only flushes on new line and the prompt does not send a new
line character...
> For example, just running "python"
>
> gives you a blank line, and seems like the program is 'hung'. It is
> actually running, but it doesn't seem able to write to the screen.
>
> I'm curious if this happens at other times, or if maybe stderr works, so
> he sees progress updates, etc, but doesn't see stdout...

I see progress bar and diff output , status and so on which I imagine is
going to stdout and not stderr, right?
> Anyway, in the short term, it seems like win32-native bzr won't work
> with fancy shells like gnome-terminal or rxvt do to situations outside
> of our control.
>
> Nick said he would update the FAQ with an entry so that we can just
> point peoeple to that.
>
> So, unfortunately, this one just gets marked as 'Known Bug'.
>
> Probably we should open up a bug tracker item as well, in case someone
> searches for a bug like this.  Can you do that, Nick?
Sure, no problem.

Nick