General question regarding interrupting bzr operations

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 31 17:12:06 GMT 2006

Nicholas Allen wrote:

>> Manual recovery is typically needed.
> Would it be possible to have a command bzr repair that would check if
> the tree was invalid somehow and perform these steps? Also before a pull
> could you not create a "patch" with the local changes and store it in a
> temporary file so if things really go wrong then you can revert and
> apply the patch again - bzr could keep track of patches it created and
> in the repair could ask the user if they would like to apply the patch
> back to get local changes they had.
>
> It's just an idea - not sure if this makes sense and could be
> implemented though....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick

We certainly *could*. And I know of another system where "update" was,
"revert and save as a changeset, apply changes, apply changeset". It had
the problem that it was *really* slow at doing all of that.

Now, we are quite a bit faster at a lot of those steps. But there is the
simple fact that you need to stat the entire tree to find changes, and
then do a diff on any changed file to generate the patch, then update,
then throw away the patch.

It probably isn't a huge amount of overhead. But there is *some*
overhead involved.

Modulo the Windows locked files bug, it really is a short window of time
where anything might be inconsistent. I certainly would rather spend the
effort fixing the bug first, before we decide that saving a patch is needed.