Bazaar NG performance on large repositories

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 31 15:54:50 GMT 2006

Nicholas Allen wrote:

>> I don't use cygwin for my daily work, and don't use bzr on cygwin,
>> because it too slow, but sometimes I run MC for copying files over ssh.
>> And I can say that on cygwin things is really bad: user should always
>> work inside cygwin to get all things correct. But as soon as user mix
>> windows native access to files and cygwin one then things also mix,
>> executable bit tends to be always set etc.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander
>>

> That's most likely what happened then. I used cygwin to run tailor in
> order to convert the repository and it could be that in one terminal I
> didn't have the correct path so it was using cygwin's version instead of
> the native windows one. So I might have mixed use of Cygwin and native
> bzr versions accidently. But it would still be nice if they could both
> work together and agree on the executable bit. I know it's not an
> important bug but should I submit a bug report anyway?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nick

Well, cygwin *does* track the executable bit, because it can, and needs
to for acting like a *nix shell.

So what likely happened, is that you converted using Native, and then
ran your later commit, etc using cygwin.

Which is how everything would show up with the executable bit set, and
performance would be really bad.

My personal recommendation is to only use the cygwin version if you
*really* *really* need the executable bit. Usually if you are developing
on windows you don't actually need it.

I agree it would be nice if they played together better. But if that
means going to a lowest common denominator, then it just means losing
everything. I suppose a possibility would be to set a flag in the
checkout indicating that this was a win32 checkout, so cygwin can ignore
permission bits...

Oh, and just doing "bzr revert" would have reset all of the permission
bits. Especially since you knew the tree was freshly converted.