VCS comparison table

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 27 10:34:09 BST 2006

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Jakub Narebski <jnareb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I'd rather split "Supports Renames" into engine part (does SCM
>> remember/detect that rename took place _as_ rename, not remember/detect it
>> as copiying+deletion; something other than rename) and user interface part:
>> can user easily deal with renames (this includes merging and viewing file
>> history).
>
> I think that what to tool does in its guts is completely irrelevant, what
> is important is what the user sees. Sadly, it seems hard to describe
> exactly what is meant/wanted here.

Agreed. I'd rather make the definition "Can users, after a rename has
taken place, follow the history of the file-contents across renames?".
Mainly because this is clearly unambiguous, doesn't involve
implementation details and only weighs what really counts: User-visible
capabilities.

IMNSHO, I'd rather have all the features in the list be along the lines
of "Can users/admins/random-boon do X?" and instead of "yes/no" list the
number of commands/the amount of time required to achieve the desired
effect. This would set a clear limit and put most terminology issues out
of the way.

>> 13. Plugins. I would put "Somewhat" here, or "Scriptable" in the "Somewhat"
>> or "?" background color for Git. And add note that it is easy to script up
>> porcelanish command, and to add another merge strategy. There also was
>> example plugin infrastructure for Cogito, so I'd opt for "Someahwt"
>> marking.
>
> Mostly an implementation detail for "extensible"...

Yup. Any fast-growing SCM can clearly be said to be "extensible",
otherwise it wouldn't be extended ;-)

> [...]
>
>> 19. Ease of Use. Hmmm... I don't know for Git. I personally find it very
>> easy to use, but I have not much experiences with other SCM. I wonder why
>> Bazaar has "No" there...
>
> Extremely subjective. Easy to learn doesn't cut it either.

This one just needs to go. Could possibly be replaced with "Has
tutorial/documentation online" or some such. No SCM is really intuitive
to users that haven't experienced any of them before, so the only thing
that really matters is how much documentation one can find online and
how up-to-date it is.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se