VCS comparison table

Jakub Narebski jnareb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:45:27 BST 2006

Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, David Lang wrote:
>
>> actually, there are some real problems in this area. the git pack format can't
>> be larger then 4G, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other issues with
>> files larger then 4G (these all boil down to 32 bit limits). once these limits
>> are dealt with then you will be right.
>
> There is no such limit on the pack format.  A pack itself can be as
> large as you want.  The 4G limit is in the tool not the format.
[...]
> The _code_ is currently limited to 4G though, especially on 32-bit
> architectures.  The delta issue could be resolved in a backward
> compatible way but it hasn't been formalized yet.
>
> The pack index is actually limited to 32-bits meaning it can cope with
> packs no larger than 4G.  But the pack index is a local matter and not
> part of the protocol so this is not a big issue to define a new index
> format and automatically convert existing indexes at that point.

If I remember correctly those issues are under development:
1. There is work on 64-bit index
2. There is work that would allow to have multiple packs, repack only one
   of packs and treat the rest as 'archive packs' (which can be more
   aggresively packed). This solution is to split pack into multiple packs.
3. There is work on mmaping only part of pack, which would avoid 4G limit
   even on 32-bit machines, if I understand it correctly.
--
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland