Client-side bzr, server-side svn

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Oct 26 02:21:00 BST 2006

Ben Finney wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

>> But really, what are you really looking for in a host? I would guess
>> that launchpad.net would support almost everything you would need.
>
> One requirement is that they use only free software for the hosting
> services. Unfortunately, that eliminates Launchpad and Sourceforge.

Well, as far as hosting:

I believe you can use
http://savannah.gnu.org/

or
https://gna.org/

For hosting. Though I don't know what extra services they provide.

They both supported Gnu Arch, which had a similar 'only needs a remote
filesystem' support. At one point they had some advanced Arch-specific
functionality, though it was disabled recently because of performance
issues.

So because they provide online disk space, you can host a Bazaar project
there. And I believe they provide a bug tracker, mailing list, etc. I
don't know that there is any integration with Bazaar, though I don't
know that there is any integration with CVS/SVN either. (AFAIK
Sourceforge never did much for integration, they just hosted CVS (and
now SVN) servers, and a bug tracker, but I don't think the two talked to
each other).

Anyway, those are the ones I know about.

As far as 3rd party projects that use Bazaar, I also know that there are
people fixing "ikiwiki" so that it can be more generic about what
version control system it uses under the hood. And specifically
supporting Bazaar as a back end.

I don't know how beta they are, but with 'trac' support might be enough
for what you need, since I think trac comes with a bug tracker, and wiki
pages, as well as a source code browser.

You might also ask on IRC, as they might be able to answer quickly. I
believe Wouter van Heyst (LarstiQ) was one of the ones looking into
stuff like this.