Bazaar NG workflow question - a possible solution

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:47:03 BST 2006

> The biggest problem I see with this is that we need to inform other
> developers in our team of changes made by a developer in one of his
> branches (preferably as soon as it happens). This allows other members
> of the team to review the changes and possibly discuss them with the
> person making them. In subversion, we have hooks that check which files
> were modified and flags the commit for review by the developer mainly
> responsible for the file(s) modified. All developers are notified but
> some are marked as needing review by other members. The email also has
> links to the web interface so that reviewing someone's commit is just a
> matter of clicking on the link of one of the changed files to see a
> side-by-side diff displayed in the web browser.
>
> If we switch to bzr we would definitely need a workflow that offerred
> the same level of notification as it is extremely useful for us and
> helps keep us up to date with what changes are being made by other
> members of the team.

In that case,
I would give each developer their own branch (or multiple branches).
When they wanted the branch reviewed, they would push it to the
central server, a mail can be created automatically (by a plugin, by
server code seeing new stuff in predefined branches, etc) or manually.
 This mail would tell the other developers to review the branch.

It would be fairly easy to create a web interface (linked from the
mail) that would diff the branch with trunk, as well as viewing each
individual commit in the branch.    After the review has passed, the
branch can be merged into trunk.

That last merge, can be made manually (developer doing bzr merge into
a checkout of trunk), or automatically.  You could use PQM or
something like that and trigger it from the web interface.

Me personally, would prefer to get the new branch and review it
locally on my machine and merge it there.

There are multiple ways of doing this, feel free to bounce ideas around here :)

/Erik

google talk/jabber. zindar at gmail.com
SIP-phones: sip:erik_bagfors at gizmoproject.com
sip:17476714687 at proxy01.sipphone.com