VCS comparison table

Jakub Narebski jnareb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 10:46:05 BST 2006

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 02:48:52PM -0700 I heard the voice of
>> Carl Worth, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>>> (since pull seems the only way to synch up without infinite new
>>> merge commits being added back and forth).
>>
>> The infinite-merge-commits case doesn't happen in bzr-land because we
>> generally don't merge other branches except when the branch owner says
>> "Hey, I've got something for you to merge".  If you were to setup a
>> script to merge two branches back and forth until they were 'equal',
>> yes, it'd churn away until you filled up your disk with the N bytes of
>> metadata every new revision uses up.
>
> This is new to me. At work, we merge our toy repositories back and forth
> between devs only. There is no central repo at all. Does this mean that
> each merge would add one extra commit per time the one I'm merging with
> has merged with me?

From what I understand, "bzr merge" will create one extra commit to
preserve the "first parent is my branch" feature. "bzr pull" will do
fast-forward if your DAG is proper subset of pulled branch/repository
DAG, but at the cost that it would change your revno to revision mapping
to those of the pulled repository.

That's a consequence of preserving branch as "my work" i.e. as path
through "branch DAG" in the DAG using first parent as special, instead
of saving it outside DAG.

--
Jakub Narebski
Poland