VCS comparison table

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 24 23:04:58 BST 2006

Erik Bågfors wrote:
> Sorry for going back to an old mail... but....
>
> On 10/24/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:26:57 -0500, "Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:
>> >
>> > On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 04:24:30PM -0700 I heard the voice of
>> > Linus Torvalds, and lo! it spake thus:

>> > Why would you?

> Creates the picture you can see at
> http://erik.bagfors.nu/bzr-plugins/dotrepo.png
>
> Please remember that this is a 15 min implementation and as such might
> suck (the output is not perfect for example, it's slow, etc).  This
> just brings in every revision in the entire repo, but to expand it to
> just take the branches on the command line, is perfectly possible.
>
> But still.. there is no problem to create this.
>
> /Erik

Erik, did you know about bzrtools' "graph-ancestry" command?

It allows you to generate directly to .png (going through dot). And it
colors the revisions, and you can use --merge-branch to indicate another
branch, where it will color the common ancestors, and the merge point,
and the revisions to be merged.

It is a really old command, back when merging was being developed. It
works pretty well, though.

If you wanted to update that, the #1 thing it could use is a way to not
show all revisions.

It uses r123 to indicate revisions in your mainline. And R123 to
indicate revisions in the other trees mainline. And then the tail of the
revision id for versions outside of that.

It also can create a .html file which has an image map to give you the
commit information if you hover over a node.

It was intended to be used when tracking complex ancestries with lots of
merging, so it collapses non-merges into a line with a count of revisions.

Because it doesn't support restricting ancestry, it probably would
generate a graph too big to use it on bzr.dev. It also doesn't seem to
work if you have Unicode in your commit messages.

You may want to work from that as a starting point, though.