VCS comparison table

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Tue Oct 24 16:15:05 BST 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, David Rientjes wrote:

> Some of the internal commands that have been coded in C are actually much
> better handled by the shell in the first place.  It's much simpler to
> write and extend as well as being much more traceable for runtime
> problems.

Yes. However, from a portability (to Windows) standpoint, shell is just
about the worst choice.

Not that perl/python/etc really help - unless the _whole_ program is one
perl/python thing. Windows just doesn't like pipelines etc very much.

So I'd like all the _common_ programs to be built-ins..

		Linus