VCS comparison table

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Sun Oct 22 16:05:59 BST 2006

"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 10:24:54AM -0400 I heard the voice of
> Sean, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> Light goes on.  Okay.  So a bzr "branch" is only ever editable on a
>> single machine.  So there is no distributed development on top of a
>> bzr "branch".  Everyone else just has read-only copies of it.
>
> Ah!  Yes, that's exactly[0] right.  Mark up another of those "so
> obvious we never think to state it" thought-patterns   :|

Well, I'm not sure you talk about the same thing still. Adding my
2cents:

If ~/branch1 is a branch, I can get a read-write "copy" of it with

$ bzr branch ~/branch1 ~/branch2

which will roughly be equivalent to

$ cp -r ~/branch1 ~/branch2

Whether they are at this point "the same branch" or "two distinct
branches with same content" is just a matter of vocabulary since there
is no real "branch identity" AFAIK in bzr.

Now, if you commit in ~/branch1, then ~/branch2 is out of date with
it. If you commit also to ~/branch2, then you get two divergent
branches.

(and obviously, I could have done the same with branches in different
machines)

--
Matthieu