VCS comparison table

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 22 14:40:41 BST 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:33:36 -0500
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> Because they're 'local' to a given "branch"; see my message to cworth
> a little while ago for expansion of the rather particular meaning of
> the word used here.  If somebody takes a clone of my _branch_, it's
> the same "branch", so the numbers will be the same (and that's
> desired).

The fact is that once you start distributing them to other repositories
you CAN NOT GUARANTEE their stability.  Those number may already be
used by _HIS_ branch and when he tries to get _YOUR_ branch.. there
is a conflict.  AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO FIX THAT.  It's
a fundamental flaw with distributing revnos.  The reason you likely
haven't seen a problem so far is that the bzr world seems to favor
the use of a central server that has the effect of more or less
synchronizing branch numbers to most of the nodes in the system.
However, that's only one model.  So while you may not have seen a
problem yourself, there are _inherent_ limitations of the system
you've embraced.

But it seems like nobody on the bzr team cares or wants to hear about
it, so let's just move on.

Cheers,
Sean