VCS comparison table

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 22 14:28:45 BST 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:03:22 -0500
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> Perhaps the difference is that we're making a [fine] distinction
> between "useful in a truely distributed system" and "useful when
> WORKING in a truely distributed system".  cworth's point back up a few
> posts is good; nearly all of my use of revnos is in direct interaction
> with the tool, where the revnos just came from looking at the history.
> And of those uses that aren't in that class, nearly all of THOSE are
> very transient.  Non-local (in time or space) stability in either of
> those cases is a total non-concern.

Sure, but if they're just a local feature then why propagate them with
the distributed data?  If they're meant only to be used locally,
they can be guaranteed to be stable by never replicating
them, with obvious benefits for the local user.  However bzr makes the
(IMO) mistake of including them in the data that is distributed
between repos.  This suggests bzr team just doesn't care about the
distributed models where this will not help and will quite possibly
lead to frustration and confusion.  And yes, I know that you
haven't seen those situations yourself yet.  Obviously, it's the
Bzr teams trade-off to make, but if an avid user like yourself thinks
of revno's as local, perhaps they've made the wrong choice.

Sean