VCS comparison table

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 21 23:06:53 BST 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:46:29 -0500
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> Obviously, this is a totally foreign mentality to git, and that's
> great because it seems to work for you.  I can see advantages to it,
> and I can conceive of situations where I might want that behavior.
> But, in my day-to-day VCS use, I don't hit them, which is why I keep
> typing 'bzr' instead of 'git' when I annoyingly need to type 'cvs'.

It's not completely foreign, it's one of the things you can use the
git reflog feature to record.  It's just that it's utterly clear in
Git that this is a local feature and is never replicated as part
of the distributed data.

> Depends on what you're fetching.  You can always tell 'bzr pull' a new
> URL to look from.  If it's a later version of the 'same' branch, it'll
> just update.  If it's a 'different' branch (a branch that's a superset
> of your current branch/set-of-revisions, but with a different
> 'mainline' path through the revisions counts as 'different' here),
> pull will complain and require a --overwrite to do the deed.

This is where the git model is clearly superior and allows a true
distributed model.  Because there is no concept of a "mainline"
(except locally via reflog) you can always merge with anyone
participating in the DAG without having to overwrite or lose ordering.

Sean