[ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

Jakub Narebski jnareb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 20:21:57 BST 2006

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> We've discussed adding a "--follow" flag to tell "git log" to consider the
> argument to not be a "pathname filter", but a "individual file" kind of
> thing, and I think there was even a patch for it, but I suspect it hasn't
> been a big issue, probably partly because you get rather used to the
> "pathname filter" approach fairly quickly.

If I remember correctly, the patch implementing --follow was fairly
intrusive, and was unfortunate in that it was posted during changes
in diffcore.

Lack of --follow is not a big issue because you can do this "by hand";
you can use git-diff-tree -M at the end of file history to check if
[git considers] it was moved from somewhere.

During discussion we have agreed that we would like to have both
--follow rename following limiter and static path limiter (and
that it would be nice to extend static path limiter to include globs).
--
Jakub Narebski
Poland