[ANNOUNCE] Example Cogito Addon - cogito-bundle

Shawn Pearce spearce at spearce.org
Fri Oct 20 18:21:25 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > Gaaah, so rename detection in bzr is done using file-ids?
> > Linus will tell you the inherent problems with that "solution".
>
> All solutions have disadvantages.  We prefer the disadvantages that come
> from using file-ids over the disadvantages that come from using
> content-based rename detection.

As good as the content based rename detection is I got burned
recently by it.

I renamed hundreds of small files in one shot and also did a few
hundered adds and deletes of other small XML files.  Git generated
a lot of those unrelated adds/deletes as rename/modifies, as their
content was very similiar.  Some people involved in the project
freaked as the files actually had nothing in common with one
another... except for a lot of XML elements (as they shared the
same DTD).

--
Shawn.