VCS comparison table

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Fri Oct 20 15:52:09 BST 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> Jeff King wrote:
> >
> > I was accustomed to doing such things in CVS, but I find the git way
> > much more pleasant, since I don't have to do any arithmetic:
> >   diff d8a60^..d8a60
>
> By the way "diff d8a60" also works (unless d8a60 is merge commit, in
> which case you would need "diff -c d8a60" or "diff -m d8a60").

I could be wrong, but I have the impression (even after actually testing
it) that "git diff d8a60" is equivalent to "git diff d8a60..HEAD", _not_
"git diff d8a60^..d8a60".

IIRC we had a "-p" flag to denote "parent" once upon a time, but that no
longer works...

"git-show" is definitely what you want.

Ciao,
Dscho