pqm-submit public location problems

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Oct 20 15:49:12 BST 2006

James Henstridge wrote:
> On 18/10/06, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> pqm-submit seems a bit too aggressive in seeking out public locations.
>>
>> In particular, it falls back to using the parent location.  But since
>> the branch may be diverged from the parent location, this is frequently
>> a bad choice.
>>
>> pqm-submit will also try to use the push location as a public location,
>> but this is a bad idea because most push locations require
>> authentication.
>>
>> So I'd like to change it to use
>> 1. user option
>> 2. public_repository configuration
>> 3. the supplied location, if the protocol is not file://
>
> I know some of the other defaults in older versions of pqm-submit
> caused problems for Launchpad developers (pqm target branch mainly),
> which we fixed by getting it to print an error message rather than
> pick a default value.
>
> This sounds like a similar case, so will reduce user confusion.
> (Unless John can think of a good reason to keep the push location and
> parent fallbacks in place).
>
> James.

Just early implementation which didn't really know what would be the
best location to look for. So we started looking in a bunch of them
which seemed in reasonable hierarchy.

At this point, we have good support for 'public_location' and
'public_repository'. Enough so that I would be willing to make it the
*only* place to look.

The current Branch.base() is almost always a local path, if bound to a
master it would be a sftp:// path, and almost always you want a http://
path to pass to the pqm.

So if someone wants to go through and set it to:

1) --public-location=url (command line arg)
2) public_branch  (specific location in config for this branch)
3) public_repository + relative path  (specific location for containing
repo)

And get rid of the rest, I'm +1 on concept.