VCS comparison table

Jakub Narebski jnareb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 12:50:11 BST 2006

I have lost somewhere among many emails in this thread the email I
wanted to reply to, the one mentioning for the first time the lack of
parents ordering in GIT, but this one should do.

Petr Baudis wrote:

> The lack of parents ordering in Git is directly connected with
> fast-forwarding.

There are exactly _two_ places where Git treats first parent specially
(correct me if I'm wrong).

First, <commit-ish>^ is shortcut for <commit-ish>^1, i.e. for first
parent of commit. <commit-ish>~<n> is shortcut for <commit-ish>^^...^
(n-times '^'), which means that <commit-ish>~<n> is n-th parent in
1st-parent lineage of <commit-ish>. But you can always use names
like for example next~12^2^^2~2.

Second, git-diff with only one <commit-ish> generates diff to first
parent. But you can always use '-c' or '-cc' combined diff format
or '-m' with default diff format to compare to _all_ parents.
--
Jakub Narebski
Poland