VCS comparison table

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Oct 19 16:17:36 BST 2006

[ trim back CC a bit ]

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 01:37:31PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Petr Baudis, and lo! it spake thus:

> [...] you probably primarily show revnos everywhere and UUIDs only
> in few special places and/or when asked specifically through a
> command (correct me if I'm wrong).

The primary place you'd see either is in 'log'.  To show the UUID,
you'd add a "--show-ids" arg to it (and via per-user config aliasing,
you could just alias 'log' to 'log --show-ids' if you always wanted to
see them, so you wouldn't have to type it.  The output looks something
like:

revno: 1
revision-id: fullermd at over-yonder.net-20061019151437-5b99dff6ed1d76cd
committer: Matthew Fuller <fullermd at over-yonder.net>
branch nick: a
timestamp: Thu 2006-10-19 10:14:37 -0500
message:
  Foo

(without --show-ids, it's the same, except not showing the
revision-id: line)

> Also, do you support "UUID autocompletion" so that you can type just
> the unique UUID prefix instead of the whole thing?

With the form of bzr UUID's, that's not particularly useful, since
you're probably into the minutes/seconds of the timestamp before it
becomes unique, at which points you're close to 2/3 of the way through
the whole string.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net