VCS comparison table

Jakub Narebski jnareb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:10:22 BST 2006

Dnia środa 18. października 2006 14:43, Matthew D. Fuller napisał:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:19:10PM +0200 I heard the voice of
> Andreas Ericsson, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > It's just that we have this one place where gitweb is installed,
> > which management likes whereas devs don't have that on their laptop.
> > It's also convenient to have one place to find all changes rather
> > than pulling from 1-to-N different people just to have a look at
> > what they've done.
>
> I think this just by itself lends support to:
>
> > The point I'm trying to make here is that the star config might be
> > the most common case today because
>
> c) Stars work well as a mental model for humans.
>
> Heck, in large, Linux is star-ish.  There s "2.6.1", "2.6.2", etc;
> that's a trunk.  Any time you have releases, you're establishing a
> "master" branch.  For most people using Linux, there's a trunk,
> whether it's the kernel.org trunk, or the "What Redhat ships" trunk,
> etc.  The closer you drill to the day-to-day work on the kernel, the
> farther it gets from trunks, but if it were full-mesh at all levels I
> don't think it would be nearly as usable for regular computing tasks
> as it is.

No, it is not. If you consider only published Linus repository, and
private repositories of other people, it usually is star-ish (although
mentioned situaltion where somebody else repository took place of center
of star-ish configuration wouldn't be possible in tru star-ish model).
But please take note of stable repository, -mm repository; the changes
are exchanged there and back again. And "What Redhat ships" is AFAIK
mix of different repositories and own patches.

--
Jakub Narebski
Poland