VCS comparison table

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 10:28:32 BST 2006

On 10/18/06, Petr Baudis <pasky at suse.cz> wrote:
> Dear diary, on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:30:14AM CEST, I got a letter
> where Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> said that...
> > Petr Baudis wrote:
> > > Another aspect of this is that Git (Linus ;) is very focused on getting
> > > the history right, nice and clean (though it does not _mandate_ it and
> > > you can just wildly do one commit after another; it just provides tools
> > > to easily do it).
> >
> > Yes, rebasing is very uncommon in the bzr community.  We would rather
> > evaluate the complete change than walk through its history.  (Bundles
> > only show the changes you made, not the changes you merged from the
> > mainline.)
> >
> > In an earlier form, bundles contained a patch for every revision, and
> > people *hated* reading them.  So there's definitely a cultural
> > difference there.
>
> BTW, I think what describes the Git's (kernel's) stance very nicely is
> what I call the Al Viro's "homework problem":
>
>         http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/4/7/176
>
> If I understand you right, the bzr approach is what's described as "the
> dumbest kind" there? (No offense meant!)

Yes and no, The bundle includes both the full final thing, and each
step along the way. Each step along the way is something you'll get
when you merge it.

Once merged, it will be "next one" in the description above. It would
typically look something like this in "bzr log"(shortened)  In this
example, doing C requires doing A and B as well...

committer: foobar at foobar.com
message: merged in C
      -------
      committer: bar at bar.com
      message: opps, fix bug in A
      -------
      committer: bar at bar.com
      message: implement B
      -------
      committer: bar at bar.com
      message: implement A

So, you'll get full history, including errors made :)  You can also
see who approved it to this branch (foobar) and who did the actual
work (bar)

/Erik