VCS comparison table

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 18 02:00:51 BST 2006

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>> Linus Torvalds wrote:

>>> Sure. But that doesn't throw away any local commit ordering. The original
>>> order (a->b->c) is still very much there.
>> After the pull, it's no longer the mainline ordering for the branch.  c
>> is represented a revision that was merged into the branch, while d is
>> represented as a commit on the mainline of the branch.
>
> Well, that is another example while generation number is/can be global,
> any numbering of branches must be local-only.

No.  The numbering always follows the leftmost parent.  So each revision
has a permanent (but non-unique) number.

> That doesn't matter...

It has significant UI impact.

>> and the revision numbers can change.
>
> ...but that means that revision numers are totally, absolutely useless.
> Unless by some miracle of engineering, or adding namespace, they can be
> made unchangeable.

No, because no one pulls unless they're trying to maintain a mirror of
the other branch, or else they decide to throw their local history away.

>> Nobody is forced to use your local view.
>
> But if you record "fast-forward merge", you force all people pulling
> from your repository to have this purely local and without any significant
> information "I have fetched then" marker.

Even if I agreed that the revision was meaningless, the cost of such a
revision is miniscule.

>>> In other words, the empty merge is totally semantically empty even in the
>>> bazaar world. Why does it exist?
>> It exists because it is useful.  Because it makes the behavior of bzr
>> merge uniform.  Because in some workflows, commits show that a person
>> has signed off on a change.
>
> Signing off the fact of fetching changes? For true merge you are signing
> off the fact that there were no conflicts, or you sign off your conflict
> resolution.

You sign off on the contents of the revision you fetched.  You say "I
have reviewed this revision, and approved it."

>> It's not something special-- it's just another commit, like regular
>> commits, and merge commits.  It would be harder to forbid than it is to
>> permit.
>
> Actualy the check is very easy.

Agreed.  It's just that not checking is easier still.

Aaron