VCS comparison table

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Wed Oct 18 00:09:33 BST 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> > Excuse me? What does that "throws away your local commit ordering" mean?
>
> Say this is the ordering in branch A:

> Say this is the ordering in branch B:

> |\
> d c
> |/
>
> When A pulls B, it gets the same ordering as B has.  If B did not have e
> and c, the pull would fail.

Sure. But that doesn't throw away any local commit ordering. The original
order (a->b->c) is still very much there. The fact that there was a branch
off 'b' and there is also (a->b->d) and a merge of the two at 'e' doesn't
take away anything from the original local commit ordering.

> > So generating an extra "merge" commit would be actively wrong, and adds
> > "history" that is not history at all.
>
> It's not a tree change, but it records the fact that one branch merged
> the other.

But that's a totally specious "record". It has no meaning in a distributed
SCM. There is absolutely zero semantic information in it.

The fact that you _locally_ want to remember where you were is a total
non-issue for a true distributed system. You shouldn't force everybody
else to see your local view - since it has no relevance to them, and
doesn't add any information.

> Maybe not in Git.

I don't think there is any in bzr either. Can you explain?

In other words, the empty merge is totally semantically empty even in the
bazaar world. Why does it exist?

		Linus