VCS comparison table

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Tue Oct 17 14:33:15 BST 2006

Jakub Narebski <jnareb at gmail.com> writes:

> But git has reverse check: it forbids (unless forced by user) to fetch
> into branch which has local changes (does not fast-forward).

Same as bzr then I believe. "bzr pull" will suggest you to use "merge"
in this situation, unless you say "pull --overwrite".

>> The more fundamental thing I suppose is that it allows people to work
>> in a centralized way (checkout/commit/update/...), and Bazaar was
>> designed to allow several different workflows, including the
>> centralized one.
>
> Git is designed for distributed workflows, not for centralized one.
> All repositories are created equal :-)

Note that "bound branches" and "other branches" in bzr are not so
different. The "master" (the one you make a checkout of) doesn't have
to know it has checkouts, and the "checkout" just has one file
pointing to the "master", and you can switch from one flow to the
other with "bzr bind/unbind".

So, in Bazaar, all repositories are /almost/ created equal ;-).

--
Matthieu