Newbie questions

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Oct 13 08:28:28 BST 2006

Lachlan Patrick wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>> Try typing
>>
>>     $ ssh your_username at your_remote_host
>>
>> That form was probably inspired by email addresses, but is unrelated
>> to email.
>
> This worked, or seemed to work. (I had previously used sftp directly to
> put everything in my local copy onto a server, and the command said 0
> revision(s) pushed, which I presumed meant it had no work to do and
> finished successfully.)
>
> I now have a different problem: pulling the data back via HTTP into a
> completely empty directory called FromServer.
>
> $ bzr pull http://enchantia.com/software/graphapp/bazaar/
> bzr: ERROR: Not a branch: C:/FromServer/

If you don't have a branch, then something like 'bzr get' or 'bzr
branch', or 'bzr checkout' is what you need to do. 'bzr pull' means take
what I already have, and update it with something from remote.

> Since that failed, I instead tried this:
>
> $ bzr get http://enchantia.com/software/graphapp/bazaar/
> bzr: ERROR: Connection error: curl connection error (Unknown error) on
> http://enchantia.com/software/graphapp/bazaar/.bzr/branch-format
>
> So, bzr get seems to get further than bzr pull, but both fail. Anyone
> recognise what the curl error means? I tried to find this in the
> bazaar-vcs web site docs but couldn't find it.
>
> Ta!
> Loki

The specific error seems to be that it is unable to read information
from the url. It sounds like it is failing to create an http connection
to your server. I don't know why you are getting it, since I seem to be
able to access that location.

You may want to try again, as that looks like a transient failure. You
could also look in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.bzr.log to find
the traceback for the ERROR, to see if it might have more information.