Windows installer asks user to accept the GPL [was Re: GPL not a EULA?]

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Oct 11 09:38:55 BST 2006

On 11 Oct 2006, Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Lachlan Patrick <loki at research.canon.com.au> writes:
>
> > Ben Finney wrote:

> > > The installer is wrong, or the license of the code is not
> > > GPL. There is no requirement to "accept" the GPL to use a work
> > > licensed under it.
> >
> > Well, it probably doesn't do too much harm.
>
> It appears to make a demand that is beyond what the GPL requires;
> presumably if the user doesn't "accept" the dialogue box, the
> installer exits. That comes dangerously close to a breach of the GPL:
> imposing additional restrictions on the recipient to exercise their
> rights.

Well, since you're only required to "accept" that running the program is
not restricted it becomes a bit philosophical.

But I agree, it should merely make you aware of the licence, and not
accept it.  Perhaps the options should be "I understand" and "Cancel
installation".

  https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/65259

(Actually I would suggest just looking what Cygwin does and copy that.)

--
Martin