Interested in Participating

Lachlan Patrick loki at research.canon.com.au
Fri Sep 29 06:50:19 BST 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 14:16 +1000, Lachlan Patrick wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering why Python >= 2.4 and not (for example) >= 2.3 (my ISP
>> only has 2.3 installed so running bzr may be a challenge).
>
> Hi. You dont need bzr installed on your ISP's machine to be able to use
> it, so hopefully that wont be a problem for you.

Yes, I think the only thing I need at the ISP is a SFTP daemon so that I
can push things up to it? Bzr on the ISP would be just so that I could
do a quick fix while logged in there and push it into the ISP-local
repository, then grab it via HTTP later from somewhere else. [I'm still
trying to determine how best to synchronise Home PC, Work PC, USB stick
and ISP but I think bzr should solve many problems.]

>>  What,
>> specifically, is the 2.4 feature(s)/library(s) needed?
>
> We do use generators and decorators, mainly decorators these days...
> also the built in set type, and subprocess [which is binary on windows
> and requires a separate external dependency on 2.3]. Doing it in 2.3
> would be quite a lot nastier to be honest.

OK, language features. Bit hard to do that in 2.3.

> bzr ships with cygwin though,
> you should be able to just run setup.exe :). (We've a number of cygwin
> users already).

Alright, I'll look into that, ta.

>> Also, is there any plan to rename bzr to baz (or something not
>> starting
>> with bz) now that the project name has changed? bzip2, bzless and
>> friends could frustrate tab auto-completion for me.
>>
>> Any pointers or info would be appreciated, ta.
>
> No plan that I know of. I did suggest about a year ago that baz was the
> right name, but got lots of resistance :). In fact, we already have
> branding problems, confusion with the version 1 implementation which was
> radically different, and was called baz.

I can see how rebranding is a pain; I just wondered. I guess home users
can always make a symlink from baz to bzr if they feel the need.

A slightly different question about the stability of the repository
format: I read the glossary entry for knit (but weave has been deleted).
My understanding of knits is that they are a kind of diff which is
appended to a file in the repository. How stable is this format? I
believe some impressive effort has been made to try to get backwards
compatibility back to arch formats, so I guess whatever you do someone
will have the code to revisit old bzr repositories a decade from now,
but I'm just wondering whether these formats are still in flux or if
they've stabilised (and what plans for the future?).

Loki