(partly) updated Tagging spec

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Sep 28 17:33:56 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> I've updated the tagging spec to add more use cases, and try to express
> them in a way that doesn't assume a solution.
>
>   http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrTagging
>
> In reviewing that text with Robert & Andrew we had some better ideas
> about how to implement them, which I hope will resolve the concerns
> people had with various other proposals.  I'm going to add that in now
> and will post when it's done.
>
> The basic idea is that tags should be represented by directories in the
> filesystem or url namespace, just as branches are.

Is the normal case that tags are placed at the time the revision is
committed? I would say it is just as common to mark something
afterwards, though that may come from using systems that mostly require
that (CVS, for example).

Is it 'bzr log --tag TAGNAME' or 'bzr tags --version', or 'bzr tag
--show --verbose'.

What about this statement:

If the tag was created or changed after the revision was written out,
then the tag's own definition won't be visible in the new branch. In
either case, no later tags will be visible within that space. The new
tag definitions can be seen by looking at the later branch.

I think this is one of the places where Aaron would like to see the new
tag show up, and I would agree with him.

At this point, I don't care 100% about the implementation. I want to see
something basic, that is supported, which we can upgrade in the future
to something better.

I'm a little concerned about SVN tags, because they are really branches,
and can be updated after the tag is created. So it *may* be best to
create them as a real branch, *and* a tag entry, but also update that
entry if the branch changes.

And I understand the problems with CVS tags, but I think the common case
is for mostly project-wide tags. And not doing anything ignores all of
those common cases. (I'm sure the CVS tags I created are not 100%
kosher, but they might be 75% okay)