Overlay repositories

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Sep 22 15:29:59 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>>> I want to propose a new feature: Overlay repositories.  That is, a
>>> repository can point to other repositories, and bzr will use this
>>> pointer to find the revision data it needs.
>
> This sounds a lot like history horizons:
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/HistoryHorizon
>
> The difference is that we wanted to ensure that the repository had a
> subset of history, and that as long as you stuck to that subset, you
> could work without connecting to the main repository.
>
> Aaron

Actually, Steve's use case is that he doesn't want to have to push new
revisions. So HistoryHorizon doesn't quite fit, though they could
probably work together.

Steve has the revisions locally, he just doesn't want to have to push
them to the public location, when they are already available in a
different public location.

There are a few issues with chaining like this. For example: you are
probably accessing the branch over sftp, but other people are probably
more likely to access it over http. Well, for launchpad maybe not, but a
lot of times there would be a developers location and a public location.
So now the reference needs to have many different ways of referring and
indicating to the client which one they should be using.

I'd like to think about it a bit, and consider some internals and
implications. I think we could expand HistoryHorizons a bit for
something like this.

So I'll think about it for a bit, and post my thoughts later.