[MERGE] [0.11] Working bzr+ssh://, make "bzr serve --inet" read-only by default.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Sep 18 22:22:35 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 21:08 +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~andrew/bzr/bzr-ssh-testing/ has some changes I'd like
> to see merged, ideally for 0.11 despite the freeze:
>
>   * make bzr+ssh:// URLs, added in previous smart server merges, work.  Most of
>     the infrastructure was already there, but wasn't fully hooked up or tested.
>     This branch rectifies that.  I'd really love for this to get in 0.11, as it
>     will greatly increase the number of people that will experiment with the new
>     smart server work.
>
>   * adds a --allow-writes option "bzr serve" command (and default to only
>     allowing read-only access).  This will make it harder for people to shoot
>     themselves in the foot.  It would be particularly useful for serving
>     anonymous bzr branches out of inetd -- so again, significantly boosting the
>     utility of the smart server work so far.
>
> So, I'm both seeking reviews of this code, and opinions on if it's ok to make an
> exception for merging this new functionality into 0.11.

Its +1 by me, and I'm happy to allow it in past the freeze : my
rationale is that it can hardly destabilise brand new code, but also its
a low risk change - the apis that are changed are changed minimally, so
I've got no feeling that there are dragons likely to bite.

This needs another +1 - Aaron, or John, care to review and decide if you
are happy with this coming in post-freeze ?

Rob