(desperate) problem with bzr and launchpad

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 12:18:57 BST 2006

Dear all,

I am experiencing some problems when Launchpad tries to mirror some
bzr branches. For example, I get (from
https://launchpad.net/people/rdiaz02/+branch/rjacgh/main)

Launchpad could not mirror this branch at 2006-09-16 19:20:17 CEST.
The error was: No such file:
'http://asterias.bioinfo.cnio.es/bzr/RJaCGH/.bzr/repository/knits/c0/%2552%254aa%2543%2547%2548014.pdf-20060712140550-f8dccb44fc3fae8a.kndx':
HTTP Error 404: Not Found

(The exact same thing is happening with
https://launchpad.net/people/rdiaz02/+branch/pomelo2/main)

Details (and unsuccesfull diagnoses and fix attempts)

This has been the case for over a week. I've created the branch using
"bzr get", "bzr checkout" and doing a pull (from another server, which
is not externally visible), but how the
asterias.bioinfo.cnio.es/bz are created seems not to matter at all.
Moreover, running bzr check reveals no problems.

What is more, if I recreate the repository (i.e., rm -r -f RJaCGH; bzr
checkout from the server) then:
a) copying the URL for the non-existing file in a browser does show
the file, but only first time because if I refresh the browser I get
the 404 again
b) I can do a get (with the http location) if I do that right after
recreating the repository (not after I get the 404).
c) If I go to the server, then do a "bzr update" nothing gets updated
(of course), but
  c.1. I can do a remote get using the http address
  c.2. I might get a 404 with the URL from above or not. This is not constant.

So this is very weird, because it would seem a file is disappearing
after sometime in the checked out/get/pulled branch.  But I have
branches of the problematic products on my laptop, on my workstation,
on the workstations of my grad students, on a backup server, and none
of these give problems.

Finally, I can't see how it is me doing something very fundamentally
stupid: this happens with some products, but not others (that have
been created using get from the same server, and, as far as I can
tell, I did the exact same things, permissions are the same, etc),
such as

https://launchpad.net/people/rdiaz02/+branch/functional-testing/main

https://launchpad.net/people/rdiaz02/+branch/varselrf/main

(All the stuff that I trying to mirror in launchpad is at
http://asterias.bioinfo.cnio.es/bzr/).

So I don't understand.

What am I doing wrong? How can I solve it?

Best,

P.D. I am using bzr 0.10 with Debian. The original repositories were
created, I think, with bzr 0.8.2. But, again, that has been identical
for both the problematic and the non-problematic branches.

P.D.2. I guess an extreme move would be to create a dummy branch
without any previous history:
checkout the stuff
rm -r -f .bzr
bzr init
bzr add
bzr commit --local
and have the launchpad mirror this castrated branch.
But this is not OK: people who download the stuff could not see all
available history.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit