[RFC] dirstate and deletes

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Sep 12 22:50:48 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 09:04 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> The major difference, though, would be when doing partial operations.
> Which may be a reason to leave it all-in-one. Bisect can grab a full
> directory subset of the 22K files in about 6ms. I really wanted to write
> an 'extract directory recursive' which would recurse down the tree
> grabbing everything that was a child of a specific directory.
>
> Robert- If you need something like that, just let me know, because I
> would be interested in writing it.

I realised that the primary reason dirstate development has been slow is
I started with your prototype :).

There are many questions not answered about how to fit the apis together
- like my email about inventories yesterday, like what the internal
representation should be - using a vector means adding entries needs to
be batched, or we get O(n^2) memmoves occuring, etc.

So, until theres a really good object for accessing this stuff, I'd
really rather not have bisect code just assembled, thanks ;). I've got
bisect in mind as a use case, so its not being ignored.

Rob