Recording branch points

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Sep 12 18:13:09 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I think that isn't required for launchpad to know what revisions are new
> to a branch.  Wouldn't a 'branch-point' marker be enough?
>
> I'm hesitant to add a UUID to branches, because they won't be unique
> very long.  Nicks seem more in the spirit of how branches actually behave.
>
> Aaron

Well, I was trying to figure out how you would determine what branch a
revision was from. But I guess you could just add a revision property of
'new_branch => True'.
And then if that is not present, you assume a revision is in the same
branch as its left-hand parent.
And only a new commit in a branched tree would set that.

And with James's working tree properties patch, it would be moderately
easy to do so.

The only problem is that it is a Branch property, and not a WorkingTree
property. And you can create a new branch without a working tree. In
fact, I do it all the time:

bzr branch sftp://public/bzr.dev sftp://public/feature-branch
bzr checkout sftp://public/feature-branch

Is (essentially) how I create a new feature branch to hack on. So that
would mean we want a pending Branch property, which would get removed
after a commit, but not by pull.