[RFC] dirstate and deletes

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Sep 12 03:17:51 BST 2006

We were undecided about deletes in the past.

I've got a good proposal I think:

When a file is unversioned in a dirstate, we change the versioned-type
to 'u' for unversioned/unknown, but preserve the parents data. We can
now tell that this file was in whichever parents by its current path.

If a new file is versioned at the same place, we consider the original
file 'deleted', and move to the original proposal of nuking the filename
field and putting it at the end of the dirstate.

So this is just fine tuning - saying that we want to manage
'unversioned' and 'deleted' as separate steps on the path to oblivion.

Thoughts ?
Rob