reverse merge....

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 00:10:17 BST 2006

On 9/12/06, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 21:37 +0200, Erik Bågfors wrote:
>

> > > But I think Aaron has a good point with making '--local' the default,
> > > and then they can use the regular 'update' to work with the remote branch.
> >
> > I tend to agree.
> >
> > > I really do think it is much cleaner to have an upstream checkout, and
> > > another working directory. It also gets them prepared when they want to
> > > work on more than one branch at a time.
> >
> > Me also, my suggestion (which is how I plan on working myself) is to
> > have one checkout, then branch that checkout into a new branch, hack
> > in, then merge back to the checkout when I feel ready.
> >
> > That feels very natural for me, but people do not understand why you
> > should need multiple branches on local machine.
> >
> > People coming from cvs/svn doesn't quite think the same way about
> > branches as I do (ie. branches are good, create many :) )
>
> Do I understand their complaint correctly:
> 'On CVS I only need one checkout, but here I need a checkout and a
> branch, OR, I need to give --local to commit, OR, I cannot commit
> offline'?

Not really,
People want a distributed system, where they don't commit centrally,
but don't really care about branches.  So --local --no-local should
work just fine.  I really do not think there is any problem with that,
but they didn't like it for some reason.  I'm not sure I understand
myself. :)

> > > But if you are getting a lot of negative feedback about it, I'm sure
> > > there are other things we can do.
> >
> > Personally, I really like the "checkout and commit with --local being
> > default" model.
>
> I think thats a good model - if most of your work is offline, using
> commit --local as default, and passing --not-local when you are online,
> should work well.

Me too!

/Erik
google talk/jabber. zindar at gmail.com