reverse merge....

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Sep 11 15:53:47 BST 2006

Erik Bågfors wrote:
> Hi
>
> After having some discussions with people that wants to use bzr, it's
> clear that they want to
> 1) work in disconnected mode (and not use checkouts and "commit --local")
> 2) push changes to trunk when they feel like it
> 3) Not have more than one branch locally
> 4) Not disrupt history of trunk...

> bzr merge --reverse?
>
> /Erik

This was mentioned a while ago, though I can't remember the specifics at
this point.

My only issue with this specific notation is that it sounds like you are
reversing the merge (undo the merge) rather than just reversing the parents.

Maybe 'bzr merge --switch-base', or something similar would be better.

Or maybe the command 'bzr merge-into'.

But I think Aaron has a good point with making '--local' the default,
and then they can use the regular 'update' to work with the remote branch.

I really do think it is much cleaner to have an upstream checkout, and
another working directory. It also gets them prepared when they want to
work on more than one branch at a time.

But if you are getting a lot of negative feedback about it, I'm sure
there are other things we can do.