[MERGE/RFC] Add dotted-decimal revision numbers to merge_sorted output

Daniel Parks dp+bzr at oxidized.org
Fri Sep 8 22:16:26 BST 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> Can we have a little sidetrack on this bit?  I like naming them based
> on their merge point better than ancestrally, from a tool usability
> standpoint.

Delurk! ;)

This seems like a better solution, to me, too. It's very easy to
understand, and avoids long strings of numbers (if I understand the
idea).

To use John Arbash Meinel's example from earlier, why can't the
revnos work like the following (where m and n are numbers):

revno: 1969
committer: Canonical.com Patch Queue Manager<pqm at pqm.ubuntu.com>
branch nick: +trunk
timestamp: Tue 2006-08-29 21:29:23 +0100
message:
   (spiv) Refactor sftp vendor support
     revno: 1969.n
     merged: john at arbash-meinel.com-20060829202038-ea1bede06b14bec8
     committer: John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>
     branch nick: jam-integration
     timestamp: Tue 2006-08-29 15:20:38 -0500
     message:
       [merge] Andrew Bennetts: refactor sftp vendor support
         revno: 1969.n.m
         merged:
andrew.bennetts at canonical.com-20060829011643-e4e2bd81f615f0df
         committer: Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com>
         branch nick: sftp refactoring 2
         timestamp: Tue 2006-08-29 11:16:43 +1000
         message:
           Cosmetic tweaks.
         revno: 1969.n.m-1
         [ . . . ]
     revno: 1969.n-1
     [ . . . ]

The advantage of the ancestor-based revnos would seem to be
stability, but it seems like the the revid already fills this role.
The revno is mostly a convenience to avoid having to deal with
revids, correct?

Maybe I'm completely missing the point. Wouldn't be the first time :).

Daniel