[RFC] Introduce kind change support

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Sep 7 21:18:53 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>>> Howdy all,
>>>
>>> [Please reply only to the discussion forum, I subscribe via NNTP.]
>>>
>>> I keep the /etc of a few machines under VCS control. I'm trying to
>>> convert one from bazaar 1.x to bazaar 2.
>
> I've established that this assertion is triggered by changing a symlink
> to a plain file.
>
> Bazaar does not officially support changing the kind of a file, but many
> people think it would be a good idea, and it's required to support
> import from all Baz archives.
>
> So here's a patch that implements it for "commit".  Unfortunately, we
> have many different codepaths for comparing files, so "status" will
> still raise an exception.
>
> 1. Do we want to do this?
> 2. Can we unify our tree-comparison functionality across status, revert
> and commit?
>
> Aaron

I'm a little concerned about being in the state that Commit supports
something, which is not supported by diff or status. So while you can
make a change, you can't view what change was done in the future.

I'm not sure exactly the effect on knits, though I think we just store a
full text of '' for both directories and symlinks, so it shouldn't
really matter.

So if you had updated status and diff, I would give you a resounding +1.
With only commit supported, I give you a hesitant +0.5.