[MERGE/RFC] Dotted-decimal revision numbers in 'bzr log'

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Sep 7 05:34:38 BST 2006

This adds the dotted decimal revision numbers merge_sorted can create
into the output of log.

There are a couple of gotchas, which I will add to NEWS before merging
[assuming approval ;)] - I forgot to do so when writing the NEWS entry.

The gotchas are two: Firstly I've deprecated show_merge for
show_merge_revno in the LogFormatter interface.

Secondly, I've broken compatability by calling LogFormatter.show() with
a string revno rather than an int revno. I considered keeping
compatability here, but there is a fundamental change occuring: revnos
are no longer representable as ints. We could either use the tuple
(1,2,3) form, or string "1.2.3" form - for log output I figured an
opaque to-display form was nicer.

Sample output for bzr.dev is here:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~robertc/baz2.0/sample-log.txt

I think it would be nice to remove the 'merged ...' lines from merged
revisions, but only once the dotted decimal revision-numbers are
accessible from commands like 'bzr diff' and 'bzr pull' etc.

Cheers,
Rob